Meet the Coaches - Giulia



What credentials do you have?
 Level 2, Kids

When and why did you become a coach? I got my Level 1 (at KOP!) in April of 2013. I already had a background coaching collegiate women's lacrosse, and while I decided against that as a career choice, I still wanted to coach in some capacity. I had fallen in love with CrossFit at this point already, and it felt like a natural transition to become a coach.

What is the impact you hope that your coaching has on athletes? I hope people have learned integrity and virtuosity from me as a coach. I hope they have learned that I am not impressed with the fastest Fran time, or the heaviest Clean and Jerk-but that what impresses me is that they show up day after day, give it their all, and leave being a better version of themselves then when they walked in the doors. I hope that at some point I have pushed them passed their pre-conceived limits and they were able to do something they may not have thought was possible before. I also hope they have had fun. . .we all have personal goals and different reasons for doing CrossFit, but for 99.99% of us, this is just exercise! Taking it too seriously, being too hard on yourself, and losing sight of what we are really here for can make your experience less enjoyable. Be proud of the work you put in, give an honest effort every single time, and that's all I'll ever ask of you. I also hope you've learned something from me that does not involve health and fitness.

What hobbies and interests do you have outside of the gym? To be honest, between a demanding full time job and the hours I put in coaching and training, it really does not leave me much free time haha!

Is eating a hobby? If yes, then eating. Otherwise, I also enjoy cooking (is that the same as eating?) and entertaining whenever possible. I spend a lot of time with family and also with Polpetta :) The past year I have been traveling a lot and was able to visit 6 different countries in 2017. I've also started coaching folks on their nutrition and have a few dozen clients now-so continuing to research nutrition takes up a good chunk of my time.

What did you do/or do you do for a career outside of coaching? I am Head of Sales for an early stage software company in Philadelphia. . .we actually sell marketing software to gyms! Outside of a brief coaching stint right after college, I have always worked in sales.

What are your goals and interests as an athlete? My goals and interests as an athlete have changed, pretty recently actually. Priorities have changed, things in my life have popped up that require some more time and attention from me which meant a lot less time was available for training. My focus is less on PR's and more on maintaining my current fitness level. . .but more importantly, just to move well. Focusing on integrity in my movement has become a new goal. I also realized how crucial nutrition is in all of this-at 37, I have never felt or looked better-so I am also focused on continuing to dial in my nutrition.

Favorite quote(s)?
 "To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -Marianne Williamson