Cheat Meals are Part of My Healthy Lifestyle


I have cheat food all the time and don't feel guilty about it. Our diet culture world would want you to think it's something bad but not true. I enjoy all foods and balanced meals as part of my healthy lifestyle.

What's important is having a healthy relationship with food. This means not labeling food good or bad or blaming those cinnamon roles for making you unhealthy or overweight. It's our choices around food that cause us to be unhealthy.

A healthy lifestyle means you are eating right most of the time but allowing for some splurges. If you want a cookie on any given day - have a cookie guilt-free and enjoy the damn thing. One cookie is not going to derail your fitness efforts and make you fat just as one kale salad will not make you lean.

It's what you're eating on a consistent basis that counts. This also includes being in touch with your natural body cues of hunger and satiety. If you're hungry - eat something nourishing. If you're eating and feel satisfied - stop eating. Healthy eating really isn't that complicated and all this diet nonsense has everyone stressed and frustrated.

Eating clean has even become an overused term causing some people to develop disordered eating like orthorexia. There's just too much pressure on our eating habits when it simply comes down to just being healthy.

My Nutrition

I would say my nutrition is balanced - not clean, and it works for my body.

I also don't count calories, measure food, and get caught up in percentage breakdown of macros. That would feel burdensome and stressful for me. I speak from experience because my younger competitive self used to chart every gram, supplement, and fluid intake daily.

Now, I'm just sensible, healthy, and eat intuitively. This includes a variety of nourishing foods, mostly plant-based and a daily dose of dark chocolate. I also can't go without a vanilla creamer in my coffee.
Foods that I eat on a regular basis include:


  • Boneless skinless chicken breast
  • Lean turkey
  • Salmon and white fish
  • Raw nuts and seeds
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Greek yogurt
  • Cage-free eggs
  • Mixed greens
  • Veggies 
  • Fruits
  • Beans and lentils (favorite)
  • Oats
  • Flax meal
  • Nut butter (peanut and almond)
  • Oat milk

Some of my favorite splurges include:

  • dark chocolate (daily) 
  • brownies - homemade
  • cookies - homemade
  • peach cobbler - homemade
  • apple pie al a mode - homemade
  • mint chip ice-cream

Relax and Enjoy

The problem is most of us are so bound up about the perfect diet, the enjoyment of eating has been lost. Diet culture has placed guilt and badness around food and people are taking it to heart. Our ability to listen to natural body cues of hunger and satiety are also an issue.

If we could just relax more, eat healthily, listen to our body, and enjoy the process there really wouldn't be a need for diets. Wouldn't that be giving diet culture the biggest middle finger of all and our body would be in a much better, healthy place?

Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Remember to subscribe and never miss a free update.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT