My Nutrition Habits and Thoughts About Food

Thanks for your feedback about my nutrition and I am happy to share more about that.

First - I don't believe in diets or labeling any food good or bad. Restrictive diets are not realistic or sustainable.

Second - I no longer count calories, keep track of macro percentages, or journal my food. I gave that up years ago after competing. I discovered it added nothing but stress to my life.

Third - I eat intuitively and listen to my body's natural cues of hunger and satiety.

Fourth - I eat balanced not clean. Although the food I eat most of the time is healthy and nourishes my body.

Fifth - I make a green shake almost daily post-workout. I toss in a 1/2 cup rolled oats, mango or apple, a handful of greens, Tbsp chia seed, sometimes tart cherry juice and water. This is my way of getting in extra vegetables and fruits in my nutrition-packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants. 

My Cooking Passion

I love to cook, love to eat, and love to write about it. Hanging out in the kitchen putting meals together feels therapeutic. I enjoy making food and sharing it with my family and friends. There is nothing better than happy conversation around good tasting grub. 

I thank my Mom for introducing me to food love in the kitchen at a very young age. I rarely use recipes and just know what goes well together. Give me a chicken breast and it will be well marinated, seasoned, and ready to grill.

I Take My Time Eating 

Part of enjoying food is savoring the moment. Cooking from scratch is a labor of love to me and I want to take my time and enjoy all the flavors and texture. It's also the best time to have a  quality conversation with my husband, family or friends. 

Another reason I eat slowly is to stay in touch with my body cues of satiety. Did you know that it takes your brain at least 20 minutes to tell your stomach you are satisfied or full?

Many people eat so fast (within 5 or 10 minutes) filling their stomach beyond food capacity. This leads to that uncomfortable fullness that many complain about at Thanksgiving. It also opens the door to eating larger portions as a habit ultimately causing weight gain.

I Eat For Life

Food is for life - to nourish and sustain my body. This could also be considered eating to live not living to eat. Unfortunately, many people choose to live to eat and part of the problem with the obesity epidemic in the U.S. today.

Portion control is just as important as eating healthy. Although I don't count calories, I adhere to appropriate portions on my plate. For example, most of my plate is filled with veggies and I cut a larger chicken breast in half (3-4 ounces). I may also include a few sweet potato rounds or 1/4 cup seasoned quinoa.

My snacks often include a handful of raw almonds or a slice of seeded bread with peanut butter. I enjoy hummus with cut raw veggies or Mary's Crackers. I keep it healthy, simple, but delicious.

Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Remember to subscribe and never miss a free update.

LEAVE A COMMENT